Ever wish you could take that one issue to a highly specialized professional for insight?
Or tell the whole story to an impartial audience, and then get specific feedback, increased clarity and tailored recommendations for next steps – so that you can move forward with purpose?
The Modern Accelerated Program for Couples (2 hour psychoeducational consult) is designed to provide you with personalized feedback for your most pressing relationship concerns and recommendations specifically related to your areas of concern. This program is most appropriate for couples or individuals who are considering therapy, but are uncertain as to how best to move forward.
Every couple, at some point, can greatly benefit from an experienced marriage and family therapist. Even happy couples. We all experience challenges at some point during long-term relationships.
This program is best for relatively strong couples in need of guidance and support on one of these topics:
- Communication issues
- Intimacy building
- Life transition management
Together, we will focus on understanding the specific issue(s) you are experiencing and then work to put a plan in place to help you work toward your desired outcome. If appropriate, I will provide exercises and action steps to take following session.
Together, we will focus on gaining a deeper understanding for your chosen topic, taking into account the context and specifics of your relationship.
This consultation is not therapy (therapy takes time!), but will give you tailored feedback, as well as recommendations for how to continue to improve. It’s education you can use for a lifetime.
Who this is for:
- Partners committed to growing with each other
- Partners open to trying new ways of communication
- Couples who have one or two trouble spots, but otherwise have a good relationship
- Couples entering into parenthood, or other times of significant transition and looking to take inventory when it comes to their changing needs
- Couples looking for clarity and direction to help them gracefully navigate occasional periods of stress
- Partners who are curious about couples therapy but aren’t quite sure if they’d like to pursue it
- Couples who have already been through couples therapy and need a ‘refresher’ in one particular area
This might not be for you if:
- You are seriously considering divorce and have already began the process/ currently in custody dispute
- There is serious violence in your relationship, threats by one or both partners that serious violence might occur, or fear of such serious violence on the part of one or both partners
- Either partner has been recently diagnosed with schizophrenia, recurrent psychotic depression, or bipolar/ manic-depressive illness and is in the process of securing treatment (This does not include past, successfully treated psychotic episodes, e.g. postpartum depression with psychosis.)
- There is active, untreated alcohol and/or drug addiction on the part of either or both partners, from either partner’s perspective
- There is an undisclosed, current affair that you are not willing to disclose
- Either partner is currently experiencing suicidal or homicidal thoughts, or has a history of serious harm inflicted on him/herself or another person
Sometimes couples therapy or this type of relational work in general can be a bit premature depending on the situation. You may find that you or your partner need to focus on addressing important individual issues first in order to make the time in relational work with a partner most meaningful, productive, and worthwhile.
What you can expect:
This brief program offers clarity, important insights, and personalized guidance to help you and your partner assess your present relationship needs and create a thoughtful plan for the future.
It is designed to offer you and your partner a comforting space to explore your most pressing relationship concerns and receive professional guidance and support to help you begin to understand what might be necessary in order to move toward the direction of the desired outcome.
The session will provide you with important information to continue improving your relationship. We will also review the overall quality of your relationship to see how you’ve been feeling in all areas of your connection.
Our work together begins before we meet, with you filling out a detailed questionnaire. This allows me to prepare helpful resources and guide our session so you get the most benefit. It is recommended to book this session at least one week in advance. Our session will enable significant thought and focused attention on your particular areas of concern. The last 15 minutes of our session will focus on personalized feedback and specific recommendations for how to proceed to moving forward given the increase in clarity based on goals and vision for the relationship.
It is recommended that you allow yourself at least 30 minutes prior to the session and after your session has ended so that you are not rushing to or from your appointment and so that you can really take in the significance of your time in our session.
Depending on your needs,
- We may be able to resolve the issue in this two-hour consultation.
- We may not be able to resolve the issue in this two-hour consultation; we may find it’s a larger issue that could benefit from a few more sessions, or ongoing therapy work. I will give you my recommendation for how best to heal and/or strengthen your relationship.
If appropriate, you will receive personalized ‘homework’ (activities to try).
You will leave with resources, increased clarity about the issues and the direction you’d like to go in the near future.
Why work with me? Because healing relationships is what I do.
Since 2009, I have been exploring different techniques, methods, and interventions in couples therapy. I have completed advanced training in Emotionally Focused Therapy, Parent Management Training, Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and The Gottman Method to couples therapy, and have trained with some of the most respected leaders in the field, including Esther Perel, Suzanne Iasenza, and senior EFT faculty. This diverse training, along with my extensive clinical experience, has allowed me to develop my own unique way of working, one that acknowledges that there is no one-size-fits-all method.
*This service is offered on either Monday or Tuesday in midtown from 10:00-noon or 1:00-3:00. It is recommended to book this session at least one week in advance so you have a chance to complete questionnaires. This psychoeducational consult can also be adapted for individuals who are considering therapy, but are uncertain as to how best to move forward.
Download our FREE Relationships Guide!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and download our free guide,