You want to be the best therapist you can be. But sometimes you have questions, sometimes you struggle with cases, sometimes you just wish you had an experienced LMFT to ask.
I am passionate about helping clinicians strengthen their abilities to serve couples and families through offering mentorship and guidance.
Although I have a wide depth and breadth of experience in marriage and family therapy, my expertise is in healing relationships and sex counseling. I like to say I help couples find optimal intimacy. I also work with individual clients to help them improve the quality of their relationships.
Why work with me? Because healing relationships is what I do.
Since 2009, I have been exploring different techniques, methods, and interventions in couples counseling. I have completed advanced training in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Parent Management Training, Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and The Gottman Method to couples therapy, and have trained with some of the most respected leaders in the field, including Esther Perel, Suzanne Iasenza, and senior EFT faculty. This diverse training, along with my extensive clinical experience, has allowed me to develop my own unique way of working, one that acknowledges that there is no one-size-fits-all method.
How we can work together
Maybe you have a few, occasional questions as circumstances arise with your clients.
Or, perhaps you’d like ongoing guidance on your cases, but can’t commit financially or time-wise to a formal training program.
Or, maybe you want to specialize in intimacy, and need an experienced and licensed marriage and family therapist to give you the benefit of their knowledge.
I’ve designed my mentorship offerings to accommodate occasional questions and/or provide ongoing guidance. Tell me what you need, and we will tailor your mentorship to you. Consultation sessions can be purchased as a single session as needed or you can save 15% when you bundle five sessions. All sessions can be held in-person or via phone or video based on your personal preference.
My approach to training others begins with understanding your own experiences first, how those experiences enter into your work, and how they shape and inform your unique approach to therapy. In the field, we call this as “Self-of-the-Therapist” work.
Consultation/supervision includes a combination of learning skills and interventions, deepening your understanding of theory in family systems and emotionally focused therapy, and self-of-the-therapist growth and development. I also assign homework as needed so we can talk about important concepts in couples therapy, as well as your therapy work with your own clients.
Throughout our work together, you can expect guidance, support, encouragement, and practical wisdom as you develop and strengthen your skills.
Who this is for:
- Licensed therapists and soon to be licensed therapists working in private practice or other clinical settings who wish to specialize in couples therapy and sex therapy
- Graduate students who are looking to gain more confidence and skills in providing psychotherapy both to individuals and couples
- Clinical social workers, LMSWs, Clinical psychologists, MDs, Mental health counselors who would like to gain clinical skills in working with couples and families
What you will get:
- Increased clinical confidence
- Strong professional identity
- Encouragement, guidance and support in passing the licensing exam for marriage and family therapy (focused on the six domains)
- Gaining insight into operating a private practice
- Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and Family Systems
- Training in sexual history/ assessment, and how to work with couples struggling in this area
Work With Us: The Modern MFT Clinical Program
The Modern MFT clinical program was created to help train the next generation of thoughtful, skilled relationship therapists. The individuals selected to participate in the program will take on a caseload which includes individuals, couples, and families. Clinicians will receive in-depth clinical supervision for their cases and are considered a valuable member of the clinical team. This is a paid mentorship position and requires a two-year commitment. Position requires three evening shifts per week, starting with one evening and slowly building up to a total of three. Preference will be given to newly licensed marriage and family therapists, however, limited permit holders are also welcome to apply.
Modern MFT opened in August of 2014 in the East Village and now includes a second location on Madison Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. It serves individuals, couples, and families and focuses on high quality collaborative care aimed at creating lasting positive outcomes for its clients.
The Modern MFT clinicians are responsible for providing therapy services to both individuals and couples, and orchestrating therapy sessions with warmth and professionalism. Clinicians should possess a strong desire to learn and develop as a therapist. Tasked with mastering the models and interventions used at Modern MFT, the therapists will also be accountable for collaborative care which includes consulting with other providers when necessary, timely clinical and supervision follow-up, timely and professional progress notes, and implementing interventions and clinical skills learned at Modern MFT.
We offer competitive pay and opportunities for advancement as well as high quality clinical training/ supervision in the following areas:
- Individual psychotherapy- anxiety, relationship issues, family conflict, depression, family-of-origin trauma, lack of fulfillment, career related concerns
- Couples therapy -Gottman Method, Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT couples therapy), sexual health and helping couples work through issues related to physical intimacy and affection
- Sex therapy/ assessment
- Caseload management in order to be effective and efficient as a clinician
- Ongoing study support included in supervision to help prepare for licensing exam and the six domains of exam
• Working closely with Jennifer Uhrlass, LMFT and practice founder to collaborate on clinical cases and learn
• Case conceptualization using ACT, Emotionally Focused Therapy, and Family Systems
• Timely submission of all case notes and other written responsibilities
Skills & Requirements
• At least 1 year of related experience/ some clinical experience is required
• Attention to detail
• Excellent communication in all forms
• Ability to accept responsibility for errors and to correct quickly
• A passion for psychotherapy and learning about best practices and effective interventions
• Exceptional work ethic and dedication
• Ability to take constructive criticism, learn quickly and desire to constantly improve
• A minimum time commitment of 24 months. This is due in part to the sensitive and intensive nature of clinical work
• Must have desire to contribute to practice and learning environment
• A basic understanding of responsibilities of clinical private practice is a plus
• An enthusiasm to learn and grow with us!
We encourage our employees to grow and offer many opportunities for personal and career development.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Modern MFT reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Modern MFT or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Modern MFT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
How to Apply:
If you would like to apply, please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Jennifer@modernmft.com
Download our FREE Relationships Guide!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and download our free guide,